Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Handy Purse Organizer from SewCanShe

A friend found this great little free pattern on Craftsy and of course I just had to make one to match my Kennedy bag. It's the perfect size for moving between my old purse and my new Kennedy bag. But it wasn't all smooth sailing, as I'll show you. I blame my un-interfaced poly cotton blend fabric for the lining. So if you have a cotton poly you are planning on using for the lining I'd use at least some Pellon 911FF or some other light weight interfacing on the pieces.

You can get this free pattern on Craftsy here: Handy Organizer by SewCanShe

This was also my first time using binding, and that was challenging to say the least. I wouldn't call this a beginner friendly pattern because of the binding and also the welted zipper, which is where my biggest frustration with this pattern occurred. Here are my pieces and binding laid out so you can see everything. I did not do mesh pockets as I wanted the bag to look like a mini version of my Kennedy bag.



Everything up until the zipper pocket was smooth sailing as you can see here by the half finished sides of my organizer.


My hand basted zipper, both sides, I really believe it helps more than pinning one would, because pins distort the zipper tape.



And then here you can see where it will not cover the interfaced half of the side panel properly.



I made a patchwork and fixed it, figuring it is on the inside anywhere and didn't need to be perfect. I can totally live with this, although it's not pretty, it's completely functional and I blame the fabric and if I made one again I would interface it with at least Pellon 911FF.

My next issue was the gusset being just over an inch too long, and you can see I had to trim it down enough to be even with the rest.



Overall I enjoyed making this pattern, with the exception of the zipper pocket panel fixes I had to make, and the difficulty of handling binding for the first time, I liked it a lot. Here's some photos of it with the next stages with the binding.




And the pay off, the cute little organizer insert sitting next to, and then nested inside my Kennedy bag. Love it!




I don't think I'll need to make another one of these, but I would, and like I mentioned I'd interface the zipper lining pocket and use a heavier weight 100% cotton as the lining next time around. I hope you enjoyed reading about this little organizer and if you you make one I'd love to see it! Thanks for dropping by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment