Thursday, January 19, 2017

Kennedy bag, free pattern from Sew Sweetness

I am so pleased with the way this bag came out. It's better than I imagined. It wasn't too hard to follow the instructions and I was able to take my time on each step. I also used some Peltex 71F ultra firm fusible stabilizer 2” smaller than my bottom exterior fabric, so it wouldn't be impossible to sew through, I just eliminated it from my seam allowance. I show a photo of that below as well as other stages of it being sewn.

My first step was selecting fabric, and printing out my pattern. I went with two quilting cottons, one for the lining and one for the accent fabric, and navy duck cloth. Once I had my pattern printed out, I made up the remaining pattern pieces myself, I like to cut with scissors, because I'm dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome and the spring loaded Fiskars seem to work easier for me right now than my rotary cutter.


Once all my pieces and interfacings were cut, I set about fusing everything to the right fabrics. I substituted Pellon 809 for the Shapeflex, and Fusible Fleece for the Soft and Stable and my bag came out just fine. I only used the Peltex 71F on the bottom, so it stands up nicely.


Here you can see the Peltex 71F fused on top of a layer of Pellon 809.



First thing to sew was the accent fabric for the flap and then I set the magnetic snap, and sewed my flap together.






Then I made and sewed down the corner accent pieces. Here is the finished flap on top of the outer main panel, just to show them off.


Next came the connectors and strap, I lightly glued the edges down on my strap, using a glue stick, before sewing it because my duck cloth seemed to be warped a bit, not sure how, but next time around I won't be pre-washing duck cloth, as I think it became warped when I was pressing and starching it to put back some body that pre-washing had taken out.



I inserted the welted zipper, sewed the divider pockets and finished my lining, then my bag, and then I was ready to assembled the bag. I think the hand basting I did on the zipper really made all the difference for me with the sewing. I wasn't happy with my machine's adjustable zipper foot, so I used this one that came with my vintage Singer 99, I think of it as the mitten foot because it looks like it's a mitten. I mostly used this presser foot to sew this bag, rather than my walking foot. It was great for top stitching.




 
And the finished bag! You can get this free pattern from Sew Sweetness on Craftsy. I enjoyed making it and I hope you will too!


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment