Monday, April 24, 2017

Twin Baker Street Bags

I learned a lot when I was making the third Baker Street Bag, a free pattern on Craftsy by Sew Sweetness. I had watched a video of a talented bag maker, Jessica Cruzan, owner of Sew De Kine, from her Facebook sewing group where she was demonstrating how to get around curves in a bag. I had been sewing from the lining side on top, gusset side down. I had such trouble too. My gussets were just not straight on the first two. You can sort of see the seam on the back of this bag and it is much straighter than others I'd done up to that point.


Third one I did, it was almost perfect! Because I did it with the gusset side on top, slightly clipped the edges to accommodate the curve and I was thrilled with the results. I really like this pattern and will be making a few more before I call it quits and return to quilt land. I should have taken a photo of it on the machine, and I didn't this time. Next time though, for sure!

The next thing I leaned was that you really should interface the heavier fabrics. I had heard and even said after hearing, you don't have to interface upholstery fabric or denim, but I am not going to practice that any longer. I will do them like this, cutting the interfacing out of the seam allowances.


That is Craft Fuse 809 on the front, and sides, with fusible fleece on top of it. The bottom is Peltex 71F and you really cannot sew through that stuff, this is something I learned in the Kennedy bag, but didn't do on the Baker Bags until the 4th one you can see above. It stands up and holds its shape so much better too. I'll be doing it this way from now on. This is the bottom of the Kennedy bag: Craft Fuse 809 to the edge and then the Peltex 71F on the bottom.



The crafting clips I have really do help with bag making, in all kinds of ways, from the zipper panels, to the final top stitching prep. I highly recommend them from Amazon. They are worth the ten dollars for 100. I really found them indispensable when working with the denim straps and making the strap connectors for my adjustable strap.




I only use pins now for the lining panel to be sewn to the zipper panel. Two ball pointed pins and I am set and can sew the seam I need to and then be good to go.


But yes, I did make two identical bags, sewing them in a batch made it much easier. I have a third in these fabrics cut because I want to use the proper interfacing now on it and use it for myself. I am sending the good one off to a dear friend and she will love it!


If you have any doubt about the difference interfacing can make see this photo, the one on the right is my friend's purse, the one I posted the inside of with the interfacing. It holds its shape nicely and stands up on its own much better than my current purse, the third Baker Street Bag I made, on the left. It motivated me to cut a third in these fabrics, so I can have as nice of a purse as I made for my friend.



Hope you enjoyed this blog entry on the Baker Street Bag. I will probably do one more post on this pattern when I get the next three or so made. Thank you for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment