Monday, May 1, 2017

Sew Sweetness Contest 2017, my entries

I am sure you've seen I am raving about the Baker Street Bag, by Sew Sweetness and how I was trying to make a fair amount of them to enter in her awesome contest. But more than that I wanted to learn to make the pattern, and make it well. I've done that thanks to having some free time to schedule in a few days of solid sewing. I wanted to share some of what I've been up with this contest in mind. Here are the last four I was entering, I did the previous entry on the Animals bag, and my friend;'s daughter's bag, the green medallion one, but I added another Animals bag, (didn't enter it as I entered the first one-this is the third) because I wanted to have the best bag I could make. It was the last one my son and I made together yesterday, on the final day of the contest being open.

So, first we worked on the straps and connectors. I lightly glued the edges down with a glue stick, that helps keep them stabilized when I am top stitching them, my son took these two photos for me so I could show you what it's like when we do this:

After my hardware arrived, new D rings, lobster clips and slider buckles, we went to town and got the four straps and connectors sewnusing my blind hem foot:

Next up were the linings & exteriors of the bags:

Next are the zipper panels, tedious, but they make the bag and were the feature that made me want to make them. I hand baste them, because whenever I pin them they get warped and wavy. Here's the way I do them:

Next was the adding of the recessed zipper panels to the lining panels. This is the only time I use pins in the bags, the chips just can't work, but ball pointed pins surely do:

It's hard on this next part, but clipping the seams to release them really does make all the difference, as does sewing from the gusset side up. Like you can sort of see on this one, I apologize for the dark photos, but I think you can see what I mean by clipping them to ease the fabric around the curve.

When you do the lining you have to leave one side with an 8" gap for turning it right side out. You take this part, and put it over the exterior which you have right side showing. So right sides are touching. You baste it down, and then turn it using this opening. You really need to back stitch a few times on both sides of this opening to ensure you don't tear the stitching out when turning the bag:

Then you close this opening carefully, one step I didn't photograph, I clip it then sew it closed. Then you manipulate the bag to be the way it will look, maybe give it a pressing if you desire, and from there you can clip it and then do the oh so important top stitching:

I hope you enjoyed seeing the construction photos, I really enjoyed making all 10 of these I did in the past month. Up until now I had three bags under my belt, not counting all the denim upcycled ones I did in 2013. This are a whole new level of bag making. And I couldn't be more pleased. I hope I win something, but I am just happy to have learned new techniques and gotten better at making these. So I already feel like a winner. I hope you like the way the bags came out!

The last Animal bag is how I'll leave you this time. So very pleased with how well it came out. My Singer 201-2 is a power house, a little oil, a little cleaning and it runs like the day it was made.